Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Cheeky Quote Day Over at The Social Poets 7 Oct 2009
From Denny: Every Wednesday is Cheeky Quote Day over at The Social Poets blog where I put up whatever crazy funny quotes I find for the week. This week the challenge was to find funny quotes about poetry. Let me tell you, that really turned out to be a challenge! Not too many poets have a great sense of humor! Fortunately, we can always count on funny guys like Oscar Wilde, Carl Sandburg, Robert Frost and Walt Whitman among others.
Here's a sampling of 5 quotes for you to enjoy:
* I could no more define poetry than a terrier can define a rat. - A. E. Housman
* If Galileo had said in verse that the world moved, the Inquisition might have let him alone. - Thomas Hardy
* Poetry is not a turning loose of emotion, but an escape from emotion; it is not the expression of personality, but an escape from personality. But, of course, only those who have personality and emotions know what it means to want to escape from these things. - T.S. Eliot, Tradition and the Individual Talent, 1919
* Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese. - G.K. Chesterton
* There is the view that poetry should improve your life. I think people confuse it with the Salvation Army. - John Ashbery
To visit Cheeky Quote Day, go here.